Today’s Daily Prompt asks: What’s the household task you most dislike doing? Why do you think that is — is it the task itself, or something more?Photographers, artists, poets: show us HOME
I’ve probably lived in about ten different homes in my lifetimes; not that I’d remember my early years in Seattle. Parents’ tales take care of those details. Most of my time has been here in the Valley, with almost ten years in this house on Bendigo Street.
It isn’t there anymore; a new Bartell Drugstore is on that block, with modifications to the former liquor store/turned small shopping area being done now. (Best pizza place around claims the key corner spot now, with a chiropractor next door – that’s all that remains, for now.) I digress.
While growing up in this house, my least favorite chore was cleaning up my room. Why clean when there were chapters filled with characters to entertain me? Scattered sketchbooks and art supplies everywhere but where they were supposed to be. Clothes that just never seemed to stay in the closet.
My parents had a creative way of ensuring they could see the carpet some days. While I was at school, possessions were bagged and taken into the spare room. Panic for a primary grade school student – an empty room. No, the furniture remained. The BOOKS disappeared! So, the ‘cost’ of getting the books back (boxed and locked in the parents’ closet or some other hiding place I never did find) was to put back the bagged items into their proper places and keep them there for at least a week.
Always made for the worst week ever.
Have I changed/grown up since then? (Silent pause…….)
Yes. I have control of what’s where, when and why. And yes, the place I enjoy is in proper shape for someone my age. Granted, I still postpone picking up piles of portfolios, photos and pads from time to time just for ‘one-chapter-more.’ Doesn’t necessarily mean I like it (time taken from reading, I mean).
Here are other bloggers’ takes on chores:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: Those Dishes Won’t Do Themselves (Unfortunately) | Basically Beyond Basic
- Pipework | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- The Travels of Zack | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Those Dishes Won’t Do Themselves (Unfortunately) | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Daily Prompt: Those Clotheses Won’t Fold Themselves | Under the Monkey Tree
- Home | My Little Avalon
- Daily Prompt: Those Clothes Won’t Fold Themselves | Under the Monkey Tree
- Hoover Wizard | Mara Eastern’s Personal Blog
- Daily Prompt: Those Dishes Won’t Do Themselves (Unfortunately) | Awl and Scribe
- Just a dustrag | marjanitalarosa
- Home – Daily Post | Linda Long Writes!
- A Hero’s Home | L5GN
- Home is where love lives – Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Lime kilns and float homes | Exploratorius
- Household Tasks
- Don’t make me do the cooking! | A mom’s blog
- I Do Not Do Anything Anyways | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Chore Lists, Unmatched Socks and One Medieval Monk | meanderedwanderings
- The Damned Vacuum- I say that lovingly | The Shotgun Girls
- The Superstitions attached with Putting the Silverware Away « psychologistmimi
- Chores… | Kate Murray