Today’s Daily Prompt asks “Does a messy home (or office) make you anxious and cranky, or is cleaning something you just do before company comes over?”
That depends. Given that on sunny days, I’m outside more than inside, I don’t notice the state of the floor. The only time I’ll admit to getting cranky is when I’ve put something away someplace I wouldn’t lose it only to have little recollection of where that was – and that’s when there’s a deadline attached.
The joke used to be: “If the desk was clean, the house was a mess; if the desk was a mess, the house was clean.” The students knew this, along when to be mindful during finals. Good news about that silliness was a roommate who had a similar challenge (and profession) as me. Rather than deciding who was “Felix” and who was “Oscar,” we admitted to being both, depending on the circumstances and the season.
As for cleaning, I enjoy it – it can be rather therapeutic. Purging is a good thing.
Given that I seldom entertain, the notion of ‘cleaning before company arrives’ is rare, not that the loft is completely lost – I know where most things are at, really. But, I can make things presentable in short order if needed. In the meantime, I’m prime in piling, supreme in stacking and better at boxing than I let on.
Are you an “Oscar” or “Felix” or do you have a happy medium?
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Ilya Fostiy. Basement | Philosophy & Photography
- 31 Daily Prompt: Odd Couple | Family Photos Food & Craft
- When it comes to cleaning, no one tell the OCD self, thanks… | thoughtsofrkh
- Odd Couple – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
- Daily Prompt: Odd Couple « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Odd Couple | The Gozum Show
- Squeaky Clean? | Stuphblog
- Display Duality | Daily Prompt: Odd Couple | likereadingontrains
- What Would You Do If Lucifer Visited Your Home? | The Jittery Goat
- All Things | paul scribbles
- Daily Prompt: Odd Couple | szantoanna76
- A messy definition | Spunky Wayfarer
- Cleaning and Company | The Nameless One
- DP – Odd Couple | Life With Pink Princesses
- Albert is on my Side « Fly for Icarus
- Daily Prompt: Odd Couple | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Odd Couple | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: Odd Couple | The Blogging Path
- Daily Prompt: Chaos Theory | One Starving Activist
- Hoarding gives me the Heebie-jeebies | polysyllabic profundities
- Itchy fingers | Head full of Fluff
- Artistically Messy vs. Squeaky Clean | Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
- Spring Cleaning! | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- Daily Prompt: Odd Couple: Do my dishes, Oh! | Reviewer Rose
- Daily Prompt: Odd Couple | My Atheist Blog
- Messy? | jaycee68
- A solution to the Mess | Whisks & Chopsticks
- Daily Prompt: Odd Couple | General Brain Dump
- The Odd Couple | A Sign Of Life
- Daily Prompt: Odd Couple | Amanda’s Blog
- The Sunday Post: A little Down Time | Front Porches and Candlelight
- Odd couple | Taking time, making time
- A little dust never hurt anybody | Chasing Rabbit Holes