Wednesday Words – Judgment Day

Today’s Daily Prompt asks: If you were to judge your favorite book by its cover, would you still read it?

Wandering in the book aisles was the consolation ‘prize’ I had on errands day with my parents as a child. The deal was I was always allowed to get a book. Every time. (Yes, this was how I was spoiled).

Murphy's Boy

Murphy’s Boy

“Murphy’s Boy” caught my attention because of how scared the boy looked. I grabbed it, intent on claiming the book mine, not suspecting it could be deemed ‘over my head.’

That was the first time my father took the book from me and said ‘no.’ He immediately told me to find another while he read the back of the one I had.

Mosquito Coast

Mosquito Coast

“Mosquito Coast” caught my attention, not because I recognized Han Solo ( I didn’t) but because I was curious as to why ‘he went too far.’

After parental approval, I did get to read “Murphy’s Boy.” (One of the rare times we traded ‘swap the books,’ because Dad decided to read both of my choices).

I judged these books by their covers and I’d do it again.

How about you?

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. Judgement Day – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
  2. Daily Prompt: Judgement Day | Ten Thousand Dancing Stars
  3. Daily Prompt: Judgement Day « Mama Bear Musings
  4. It’s the 21st Century: There Is No Excuse for A Bad Cover | Ramisa the Authoress
  5. Judgment Day | First Impressions and Eye-Catchers | Death By Any Other Name
  6. DP – Judgement Day | Life With Pink Princesses
  7. The Lights Are On | Conversations
  8. False Impression. | ayimas
  9. Never Judge a Book by its Cover | بيسان
  10. Daily Prompt: Judgment Day | Of Glass & Paper
  11. Daily Prompt: Judging This Book By Its Cover… | Creative Mysteries
  12. Sometimes A Picture Or Book Cover Is Worth Three Words – “Not For Me” | The Jittery Goat
  13. Down here we all float… | thoughtsofrkh
  14. Why I Don’t Judge a Book By Its Cover | Stuphblog
This entry was posted in Ponderings and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Wednesday Words – Judgment Day

1. Serena says:

I think the ‘spoiling’ has paid off in your case 🙂

2. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Judgment Day | My Atheist Blog

3. snosler says:

I don’t like it when books that become movies then have their covers replaced with photos of actors – I usually like the old jackets the best 🙂 That’s cool your dad read them both as well – great father! Anyway, stopping in to see what others wrote for the Prompt – hope you have time to visit soon and read my take on it – Cheers!

• tommiaw says:

I agree with the dislike of movie tie-in covers; it takes away from the reader’s imagination sometimes. Then again, I remember when I was teaching, it was that cover that got a reluctant reader to go through the book.

4. Shards Of DuBois says:

do it all the time! the cover is VERY important!!! especially when it comes to psy-fi, must be a cool alien or I’m not bothering with it! hahahaha

5. Pingback: Sometimes A Picture Or Book Cover Is Worth Three Words – “Not For Me” | The Jittery Goat

6. Mari Collier says:

Only one store carried books (it was more of a general store) where I grew up. There wasn’t any money to buy books (or much else) through the year. Books were given as presents on birthdays or at Christmas. Not until I was earning money (in various ways) was I able to buy books. I knew what I wanted: Treasure Island, The Dark Frigate, and Little Women. The cover had nothing to do with my selection. It wasn’t until I was older and working was I able to purchase books. That was decades and decades ago. I haven’t stopped.

• tommiaw says:

I know that when I received my first payment from my first job, the money was divided into three parts: offering, savings and ‘how many books can I get.’ Aside from the pesky thing called ‘bills,’ the formula remains the same even if the amounts have changed.

7. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Judgment Day | Joe's Musings

8. Pingback: On judging book by it’s cover | Bullets & Dreams

9. Pingback: Vacation of the Mind | Tommia's Tablet

10. Pingback: Wednesday Words – Banned Books | Tommia's Tablet

Drop a Note.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s